Does yoga make you lose weight? Yes it does in some forms, but there are many postures of yoga to lose weight and lose belly. The abdominal part is also one of the areas of the body where it is the most difficult to lose fat. To top it off, most of the time, it’s the first thing people notice when they watch you at the beach, at the pool, or under tight clothing. Below are some yoga postures you can practice to help you lose weight.
THE POSTURE OF COBRA (Bhujang asana)
This exercise strengthens the abdominal muscles and helps reduce abdominal fat. The practicing of the Cobra posture can also strengthen the back, the abdomen and more generally the entire body. It also has the benefits of softening and solidifying the spine.
How to do it:
- Lie on your stomach, legs outstretched.
- Place the palms on the ground, below the shoulders.
- Make sure your chin and toes touch the floor.
- Inhale and slowly lift your chest, try as much as possible to raise your back vertically.
- Once you look like a cobra, at least in the pose, hold the position for 15 – 30 seconds depending on your ability.
- On exhalation, rest your entire body on the ground in the initial position.
- Repeat this process at least 5 times with a relaxation period of 15 seconds after each repetition.
Do not do this pose if you have back injuries, hernia. If you are pregnant, do not practice this exercise.
POSTURE OF THE ARC (Dhanurasana)
The posture of the bow is also ideal for strengthening the lap strap. This exercise offers your abdomen a complete massage. It activates the digestive system, fights constipation and is a good stretch for the back.
How to do it:
- Legs stretched, lie on your stomach, arms placed on each side of the body.
- So as reach your ankles with your hands, bend your knees.
- By inhaling, raise and bend your head back. At the same time lift your legs as high as you can.
- Hold this position for 15-30 seconds. Breathe normally while holding the pose.
- On exhalation, slowly return your body to the supine position.
- Repeat this process 5 times with a relaxation of 15 seconds after each repetition.
THE POSTURE OF THE BOAT (Naukasana)
One of the best yoga posture to have a flat stomach. It also has benefits for the stomach and helps strengthen the back and leg muscles.
How to do it:
- Lie on your back, legs stretched out, and arms at your sides.
- On inspiration, start raising your legs without bending your knees.
- Raise your legs as high as possible.
- Now, raise both arms keeping them straight and try to reach your toes.
- Try to get closer to a 45-degree angle.
- Breathe normally and hold this pose for at least 15 seconds.
- Exhale gently and release.
- Repeat this at least 5 times with a relaxing pause of 15 seconds between each repetition.
Practicing these postures regularly will help you lose weight and flatten your stomach, however don’t expect instant results, efforts are required.